Saturday, February 23

Movie Review: Amour

This movie should have really been called "desole."
That means sorry in french.
It should have been called "desole" because that's how many times they say it.

Rating: PG-13
Time: 127 min
Stars: Emmanuelle Riva, Jean-Louis Trintignant

This movie could have also been called "oh mon dieu c'était intense!!"
It could have been called that because, OH MY GOD IT WAS INTENSE!
No but seriously, this movie was really intense.
The director did an amazing job and made probably the most intense movie I have ever seen!
But then again, I'm not very fond of dramas unless it's Oscar season which it is... 
GO SETH MACFARLANE!!!
HE'S GONNA DESTROY THE OSCARS!!!
Along with Stewie Griffin, Peter Griffin, Brian Griffin, Glen Quagmire and ect.
But to get back to the point this movie was a drama, but even then it was amazing and here's why...
So the plot of the movie is that there's an old french couple that live in France. (DUH)
And then the wife gets a stroke and goes to the hospital.
She then comes back no better then before and things start to get sad and intense and scary in a way.
So what worked in the movie?
As I said before this movie was really intense.
And I liked that because it made me feel the most out of every movie I seen this year and maybe ever.
And some people may not like that but I liked it, it was unique to me.
This movie was also very realistic.
There was no music unless being played there in the room in the movie.
The scenes were stretched out to make it more realistic and that was also well done.
So this pretty much all proves that the directing in this movie was brilliant and very very well done.
Also the dialogue in this movie, and the script in general was very good and also very realistic.
And there are some twists in this movie that are also very surprising and unexpected.
And the director plays them off very well and makes it more entertaining and surprising.
Also the as I said before the score was amazing because there was none.
And the whole movie takes place in the apartment with the exception of once where you see the apartment buildings hallway.
But even though your in only one place for the whole movie doesn't make it bad.
It makes it a little more realistic.
And the acting by Emmanuelle Riva in the movie was fantastic!
We'll talk about the old man later.
Now what was bad about the movie.
In moments there are things that aren't necessary.
There are scenes that I would think would make the movie no different if they weren't there.
And even though sometimes the director has you looking at a wall for a million years to make he movie more real, it gets tiring and old after a while.
I bet if you took out all of that time used looking at a wall the movie would have been an hour shorter.
And then as I said before, I will talk about the old man.
He was plain the whole movie to me.
I now know why he wasn't nominated for an Oscar, because he wasn't that great.
He didn't show that much change in his emotion.
And when big things were happening he acted the same as when little were happening.
But in all this movie is very realistic and intense.
I understand why it was nominated for THE Oscar.
If you like very realistic, intense and sad movies, this is a definite must-see!
Score=7.5

2 comments:

  1. My mother described the film to me, but first she had to get over her sorrow. I may wait a few years to watch this, like I waited to see Precious. Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was finally able to read your review on Amour after seeing it this afternoon (didn't want to read it before I had seen it). Loved the movie and love your review of it. The movie made me "feel" intensely and I'm still thinking about it hours later… Your interpretation of the film is excellent and made me think twice about the "old man's" role however on second thought I think his actions spoke louder than words and were very powerful despite his lack of emotion and were indeed suppose to be that way.
    Love you,
    Aunt Marion

    ReplyDelete