Tuesday, March 12

Movie Review: Oz the Great and Powerful

Hold on one second!
                is the witch in this movie!!??
Now that's just not right.
I will never look at that actress the same ever again.
That makeup is scary!!!

Rating: PG
Time: 130 min
Stars: James Franco, Michelle Williams

So this is the next real Oz movie from the director of the Spiderman Trilogy.
But to me that isn't really important.
What is important to me is that this movie is also from the producer of Alice in Wonderland!
So let me just remind you that if you think that weird CGI is stupid and confusing then you will not like this movie.
It is full of it!!!
I don't even know how they film a movie like this!
Although I would like to know...
Anyways I guess I'll get more specific about that later.
But for now I have nothing else ramble about.
So the plot...
The wizard of Oz is not at the moment the wizard of Oz.
He gets to Oz and everyone thinks he's the wizard.
But he has to do something to prove himself.
So he goes off to try and stop the wicked witch.
So like my usual  routine the next thing I always say is...
What was good in the movie?
Well first of all, I thought the casting in the movie was great besides the green wicked witch.
I thought that James Franco did an excellent job at his part.
He was selfish and he played it really well.
I also thought that the last final scene in the movie was made well.
The way the movie ends was good and it was also at the same time pretty spectacular.
And might I say that some of the characters in this movie were kind of fun.
There's a flying monkey in this movie that's funny at moments.
But then there's this little dude who only appears in the beginning of the movie and the end.
But he was really funny and mean and in movies you need a character like that.
I also thought that the clothing in the movie was good.
And I also want to bring up the fact that a lot of people are comparing this film to Jack the Giant Slayer and the truth is that this movie wasn't that amazing, but it was much better then Giant Slayer.
And just the fact that this movie was PG surprised me.
I felt like they could've done a lot more if it were PG-13, but they did a pretty good job for PG.
Anyways let's get on to the bad stuff.
There are moments in this movie that I felt like didn't need to be in the movie to make it any different.
I felt like that if they were just simply taken out it would only make a movie shorter and nothing else.
And that brings up another point!
This movie was way too long for itself.
I mean other movies can be longer because they're really good!
But this was too long for itself.
I also thought that the CGI was sometimes too hectic and crazy.
In moments in the movie it felt like you were actually in  a painting.
It had different colors everywhere that made it feel like a rainbow.
And let me just say in the beginning of this movie when they're in Kansas, it's dumb.
It's unrealistic!
The crowd acts too fake and the reason James Franco actually ends up in a balloon, in a tornado, in Oz I thought was also very dumb.
Anyways I recommend this movie but I really think you should just wait for DVD and rent it.
Score=6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment