Saturday, December 28

Movie Review: American Hustle

I have been waiting for this movie.
Ever since I saw Silver Linings Playbook and eventually The Fighter I have decided that I do love David O. Russell.
But did this movie hit the bullseye the way the others did?
Read on and find out.

Rating: R
Time: 138 min
Director David O. Russell
Stars: Christian Bale, Amy Adams

Only do I sometimes start off my reviews with a read on phrase.
I'm not sure if I like it much, but I use it when nothing else comes in my mind to say.
Anyway, just before we start the review, I just want to say that I have unfortunate luck sitting next to people.
Always in movie I sit next to the loud weirdo and this movie was no different.
I sat next to a man with a cackling laugh which he used at every small pun in the movie and sometimes even when there's none.
Why me, why me!?!?
So the plot in this movie is that there are these con men who are forced to work for the police to hustle and con other people.
So what was good?
First off, the acting in this movie is amazing.
Everyone did an amazing job but truthfully the one who stood out was Jennifer Lawrence.
Jennifer Lawrence I am constantly surprised by.
I love her and I think that her Oscar that she won she deserved, but that doesn't really show me that she can do other dramatic parts.
Once again, she proved me wrong.
She was the best part of the movie with her amazing acting, her lively character and her comedic dialogue.
Also I thought that the plot for this movie was really interesting.
I was really engaged into it and interested in what was going to happen next.
I thought that the setting was also interesting.
Actually, personally I just love movies with this old but not so old type of setting.
The setting with gangsters and con men and all of that.
Also the humor in this movie surprised me a lot as well.
I laughed a lot more than I thought and I liked that.
Going into the movie I actually thought it was just going to be a drama.
Maybe the only reason I laughed was because the guy sitting next to me had this ginormous annoying laugh and was using it at every joke, sometimes even when there wasn't one.
Also there was this secret cameo in the movie that I was surprised by and loved.
The secret actor that actually might not be that secret was awesome to see.
So what wasn't so good?
The movie, to me, had some moments where it slowed down and lagged.
The movie has a great plot so I sort of expected a faster paced movie.
That made the movie a little boring in some moments and less entertaining.
The truth of the matter is is that this movie was really good and I can't think of any other reason why it would be bad.
I don't know why others think it's not that great.
If only the pacing could be a little faster.
All in all, the movie was a really good one with great acting and other great things.
It may not win best picture but it's a good movie to see.
Score=7.5

Don Jon
I was super excited for this movie!
I am a fan of JGL and I couldn't wait to see what he was going to direct.
Instead I was disappointed for the movie was disturbing and not funny.
The acting was mediocre and the turns of the movie lost my interest.
It was boring and painful to watch.
Score=4.5

The To Do List
This movie was also quite disturbing but at least it embraced itself.
It was exactly what I expected and wanted from the movie.
Some jokes fell flat but others made me laugh out loud.
If you're bored or sad, definitely rent this movie.
Score=7.0

No comments:

Post a Comment