Saturday, June 29

Movie Review: The Bling Ring

I want to travel the neighborhood and go into houses that were left open by their owners and rob.
That's what the kids in this movie were thinking.
I will never be like the kids in this movie.
They are so stupid.

Rating: R
Time: 90 min
Director: Sofia Coppola
Stars: Emma Watson, Katie Chang

So Emma Watson goes bad!
After playing her usual polite, sweet and very nice character in past movies like the Harry Potters and Perks of Being a Wallflower, she comes once again back to the big screen with Sofia Coppola to make the Bling Ring.
AND SHE TURNS BAD!
Personally I like the idea now that she's playing a bad character because not only does it give the audience a diversity from her usual, but also shows producers that she can be this character that's not good which means she'll get more acting jobs which means she'll be in more movies.
And for me that's great because I really like Emma Watson.
Can you believe it's only been 12 years since her first appearance as Hermione Granger.
They grow up so fast...
But Emma Watson is not the only one that is in this movie!
The Bling Ring is also Katie Chang's first movie appearance!
Katie Chang is if the main character one of the main characters in this movie.
It was her first performance on the big screen and we'll talk a little more about it later.
Now let me be honest with you.
I've been wanting to see this movie forever since the day the first teaser came out.
I loved the idea of the story and I loved the idea of seeing Emma Watson as a new character.
People also told me that Sofia Coppola is very good so I also wanted to see how she was going to retell the true story of this happening.
So when I went to go see it I was really pumped up and excited.
So the plot in the film is that there's this group of teenagers that sneak into celebrities homes when they're not there and they rob the place.
So what was good in the movie?
First of all, as I said before, I thought that the plot was really good.
It was really unique and I was really interested into it.
Even more because it was a true story.
I thought that the performances were done well.
Emma Watson did well as her spoiled bad character.
Katie Chang did a great job for her first movie.
The boy in the movie I thought did really well.
Personally his character was for me the most satisfying and enjoyable to watch.
I also liked that the movie isn't afraid of itself, the real victims and the real kids who did it.
It goes all the way with drugs and crimes and I thought that that must be hard to do because the people you're acting as are real and they might find it offensive.
So what wasn't good?
First of all in moments of the movie, it keeps on going and going and going.
Some scenes are dragged on for way too long and they just won't stop.
It's sort of like Family Guy just without the humor.
I also felt that some scenes were unnecessary to the movie.
If taken out it would only make the movie better.
Also I felt like all the scenes in the movie were repeats of the last one.
The whole movie goes party, rob, party, rob, party, rob ect. forever.
So looking back at all of these things it seems to me that Sofia Coppola who was also the writer of the movie just kept on adding scenes for no reason and also the same scenes only to make the movie longer so it could actually be in theaters.
If all of the repeats and the super long unnecessary scenes were taken out of the movie it wouldn't be long enough to actually be allowed in theaters.
I felt like if Sofia Coppola just made this a short TV movie than it would have been perfect!
But instead she wanted it to take place in the theaters so she added all this stuff and WALA, it's showing in theaters near you!
And the movie's not even that long too!
It's only 90 min so if it were a TV movie it would also be a pretty short TV movie.
So all in all, the plot was really interesting with good performances but a lot of it was unnecessary and if you skip this movie all you're doing is saving yourself some cash.
Score=4.0

No comments:

Post a Comment