Tuesday, August 13

Movie Review: Elysium

Neill Blomkamp returns back to the big screen for the second time to bring you the highly anticipated Elysium.
I MISSED YOU NEILL!!!!!!!!
DO MORE MOVIES!!!!
YOU'RE GOOD AT IT!!!!!

Rating: R
Time: 109 min
Director: Neill Blomkamp
Stars: Matt Damon, Jodie Foster

So I start walking to the theater to go see Elysium.
I'm going to go see it with about 4 other people.
I'm really excited to see it, they're just bored and want to something instead of lazying around.
At the end of the movie we all come out of the theater.
I ask the four other people, "So how would you rate this movie from 1-10?"
Person 1: It was ok, I'd give it a 6.
Person 2: I'd give it a 7 but I don't think it's deserving the ratings it's getting from critics.
Person 3: I'd also give it a 6, the beginning was boring.
Person 4: I loved it! I'd give it somewhere around an 8.
Me: Thank God! Someone actually agrees with me about this movie! I'd give it a 9ish.
Person 4: Yeah! It was so much better than District 9!
Me: WHAT!
(We got into this argument about which is better.)
Anyhow, in the end the lesson this little story was supposed to teach is that always agree with the people you see movies with or you will fight all the way until you get to home.
And that District 9 is better than Elysium.
So the plot in this movie is that Matt Damon is sick and he needs to go to Elysium to get healed.
So he gets this robotic skeleton and tries to travel to Elysium.
Elysium does not like uninvited visitors.
So what was good in the movie?
First of all the action was amazing!
All of the fighting and weapons and sequences were so awesome to watch.
They made you feel like you were right there in the film.
Also the special effects were amazing.
They all looked so realistic and awesome.
It didn't at all seem like Elysium was just computer generated.
The acting was great too.
Everyone did an amazing job but the person that I loved the most in the movie-
The man who was great in not only this movie but also in District 9 was Sharlto Copley.
He is so good in this movie!
The way he acts and talks just sucks you right into his character and his story.
Matt Damon and Jodie Foster are also both very good in the movie, but they weren't the ones to steal the spotlight.
The end of the movie was also very good.
It was emotionally sad but happy at the same time.
The characters are all also very unique and awesome in their own way.
The story is very exciting and also very unique.
The way the story is executed is done so well and it's just great.
The movies amazing.
To tell you the truth, I am writing this blog post just after seeing We're the Millers and even though I saw We're the Millers not even one day ago, I can't stop thinking about this film.
It sticks with you and it's just so AWESOME.
So what wasn't good?
Not much.
Although one thing I had a problem with was that I think that in some moments of the movie, I think that the characters took the easy way out.
There really wasn't another way to get out of the situation though, which makes me think that they should've changed a little of the script to make the situation a little less... cheap.
Other than that I can't say much.
The only other thing I had a problem with was how the character Frey was interpreted as.
There was something about her that I just wasn't into.
So all in all, the movie was amazing!
Neill Blomkamp should do many more movies in the future.
And even though District 9 was way better, this movie was a close second.
Score= 9.0

1 comment:

  1. Hey Max. I've been trying to get my son Asher (your friend) to see this movie with me all summer, but have been unsuccessful. Your review makes me want to see it even more. Wish I had been one of the four people you brought along. I would have given you some feedback.

    I like your writing style. Short and punchy. Easy to read. And one can sense your excitement about the film through the structure (one or two-sentence paragraphs, etc.)

    I'm also amazed by the number of films you see!

    Robert Simonson

    ReplyDelete