Saturday, August 24

Movie Review: Fruitvale Station

I hate the subway.
I live in NYC and I hate the subway.
This movie is pretty much based in a subway.
Well at least when the big, bad and important stuff is happening it's in a subway.
This does not make me feel better about the subway.
I hate the subway.
I live in NYC and I hate the subway.

Rating: R
Time: 85 min
Director: Ryan Coogler
Stars: Michael B. Jordan, Melonie Diaz

Well ladies and gentleman, if any of you have been keeping track, this is my 100th movie review!!!
It's a pretty big post for me today and so far it has not been going well!
I saw this movie last Wednesday.
I never got to actually writing the review except for 2 days ago when I started to write it.
I was close to finishing it but I never actually wrote the whole thing.
Today I came back onto the computer to finish my review and it wasn't there!
I had to start from scratch!
But I guess that's sort of a good thing, because 2 days ago when I was writing this review I didn't even realize that it was my 100th.
Well now I know and I am proud of myself!
So as long as people keep on reading my reviews and enjoying them I will keep on writing them.
This is not the end of my saga.
Trust me that it's not.
I will keep on doing these for much longer until I just get tired of movies and never want to see one ever again.
Let's hope that's not the case.
So the plot in this movie is that this young guy is trying to get his life back in order after dealing with bad crowds and drugs and that stuff.
He has a girlfriend and a 6 year old daughter and it's his mothers birthday.
Anyhow, it's New Years Eve and he wants to go into the city to celebrate with some friends.
He takes the subway.
Bad stuff happens on the subway.
And now we have our film!
So what was good in the movie?
First of all the acting in the movie was great!
Michael Jordan did a phenomenal job and I think that this might be the start to a bigger career for him.
Octavia Spencer also did an amazing job to me.
I thought that she played the role of the mother so well.
I thought that the movie was never to proud of itself.
I thought that the director, Ryan Coogler, knew that this was his first movie and he wanted to make it a good movie but not so over dramatic. (Place Beyond the Pines.)
The writing was also really great.
The movie seemed realistic to me and it helped me connect more to it.
Also I thought that it was just the right length.
I thought that if it were any longer than it might have dragged or been much much more boring.
(I'm not saying it was boring though.)
The time line through out the story I thought was amazing.
I don't know if all of it was true, but if it was than that's just a shame.
A lot of stuff happens in this movie and I 'm not sure why it was in there, but since it's a true story for all I know I guess I can see al little why things are put in there.
So what wasn't so great?
I thought that the movie was as spectacular as the reviews it has been getting.
I thought the execution of the big thing that happens in this movie was just OK.
Crazy things are going on and it's hard to see what's happening.
Also I just think that the acting dropped in that moment.
Also the movie left a lot of questions for me.
For example why the whole thing happened in the first place.
My biggest question though was why a fight broke out.
I didn't understand it.
Sort of SPOILER ALERT.
And some people got away from the police which makes me wonder how the movie knew that they were involved at all.
This also happened in Bling Ring when the sister was involved yet never got caught.
If she never got caught than how did the movie know she was involved.
END OF SORT OF SPOILER.
So all in all, the movie was a pretty great directorial debut but I think that that is the only reason it's getting amazing reviews.
If someone much more famous directed it it would've been a good movie and not a great one.
But it's still a pretty great movie to see for your 100th movie review.
I won't stop reviewing.
Score=7.0

2 comments:

  1. Is the movie too sad for a wimp like me? I like your introduction to this review a lot! Congratulations on the 100th review. I'm glad you review movies because I like to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the first paragraph of your review. It made me laugh out loud, but I'm also sorry you hate the subway so much. I was surprised by your review because I had thought that you weren't really impressed with the movie and I was already planning on writing that "I liked it better than you". But now I don't have to say that. I agree with your observations completely and had no idea that it was the director's debut; very impressive. Congratulations on your 100th review, that is really awesome!
    Love you,
    Aunt Marion

    ReplyDelete