Friday, August 9

Movie Review: The Wolverine

After one entire month in a country, with movies that came out months ago in America I am back.
And once I sat butt into that theater I felt...
ALIVE AGAIN.

Rating: PG-13
Time: 126 min
Director: James Mangold
Stars: Hugh Jackman, Tao Okamoto

I am terrible.
I had been in NY for about a week and had not seen a movie.
I bet I wasn't even going to see this one, but it was the last showing in the theater near me so two other people were convinced and saw the movie with me.
To tell you the truth though, if I had other choices of movies to watch I wouldn't have chosen this one.
But my theater only has one movie at a time so I don't really have a choice unless I drove far away to go to a theater with more choices.
But I still wanted to see this movie and I still wanted to see a movie in general.
By the way, when movies that came out in July that I missed come out on DVD, I will rent them and I will review them.
Because I like movies and I like to review them.
So enough with the boring stuff that I always talk about in the beginning of reviews and let's just get right to it!
I'm a little rusty but let's get right to it!
So the plot in this movie is that many years ago the Wolverine saved some guy and now in the present, that guy wants to take away the Wolverine's immortality and give it to himself because he knows how to do it and he's old and wants to live longer.
Stuff happens and also there's this thing going on with the old mans grand daughter and Wolverine has to save himself and other people and WAZAM!
We have our typical superhero movie that's based in Japan.
So what was good in this movie?
First of all this is like the millionth movie that Hugh Jackman plays the Wolverine in so of course he's got the character down and obviously kills it.
He's also just a good actor in general.
But not just him I think that all the people in the movie pretty much did they're role really well.
My favorite character was the red headed chick.
She was so AWESOME!
Whenever she was on screen it was just a joy to watch her.
And of course the action was great.
All of that kung fu movements were really awesome.
The jokes were fine.
They made you chuckle but they were clever too.
Also the end of the movie was great.
I don't mean the end of the movie really, what I mean is that there's this clip after the credits and it's pretty awesome.
The movie was also very cool with the setting.
I liked the places they went and especially the colors and moods of the scene they were in.
So yeah...
So what wasn't good.
Personally even though the acting was good, I did not like most of the characters.
The villains were terrible and not fun to watch.
The Viper Lady was so cartoony and I hated her throughout the whole movie.
I wasn't that into her character.
I also hated this archer guy in the movie.
The way his path lead in the movie was also very upsetting because he could have been such a cool character but just wasn't.
And the end of the movie I thought was really bad too.
The final fight scene was just so bad and a terrible conclusion to the movie.
It was executed badly and even the twist was executed badly.
Without a good intro to the twist the twist will be weak.
If I had to explain the twist without spoiling anything, it would go like this; Wolverine: "HELP!" Villain: "Oh by the way, this thing is actually that thing."
You see how it just doesn't fit in?
Anyhow, all in all the movie was super entertaining but had some flaws with characters and execution.
Think of the movie like this; X-Men Orgins: Wolverine + Good Bruce Lee Movie Without Bruce Lee= An OK film.
Score=6.0

No comments:

Post a Comment